[mapguide-psc] Strawman Roadmap Posted

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Nov 1 19:59:09 EST 2006

Haris,

MapGuide Fusion is designed to be a flexible templating approach to
building MapGuide OS/Enterprise applications.  It separates UI design
from code and is built more-or-less on the WebLayout with some
additions and changes.  It is primarily built in javascript, but has
the capability to have server-side scripts that work directly with
the web tier API.  Currently we are implementing server-side stuff in
PHP but it is designed to allow for other backend technologies in the
future.

There is a single javascript file that is included, and a simple
javascript call to kick-start the process.  The WebLayout is loaded,
parsed, and every Command is associated with an element in the page
through ids.  If the id exists, then another javascript file is
loaded that implements the Action of the Command.  Each command is a
separate piece of javascript and is independent (more or less) of all
others.

Everything tries to be as simple as possible with most stuff
happening through CSS and standard HTML (unobtrusive javascript).

We are building this to be an open source package with the
possibility of including commercial components (like light-weight
editing) and for offering commercial support through our Premiere
product.

I've shown it to Bob and he indicated that he would be willing to
consider it as a replacement for the existing viewer capability.

Jason has contracted DM for a couple of applications based on
MapGuide, and we are using Fusion for these applications.  Hopefully
by January, the basic toolkit will include all the existing
capabilities of the ajax viewer and a bunch of other stuff.

I think it is feasible to consider it for inclusion in a 1.2 release,
even if it doesn't immediately replace the ajax viewer - this would
require changes to Studio and synchronization with the Enterprise
product for instance.

There are also some considerations for backwards compatibility,
including figuring out how to upgrade existing applications with
minimal effort.

Cheers

Paul