[mapguide-psc] RFC process...

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sat Oct 28 13:34:31 EDT 2006

Jason, I agree in principle but not in practice.  Don't forget that
this is an open source project and we are trying to encourage
participation and contribution through volunteer efforts :)

If someone has thought through and implemented a workable solution,
that's actually a pretty decent start.  It may not be the best way to
solve a problem, but as long as the code is sound and architecturally
in line with the project, it is better to have the feature than to
not have it.

People will generally contribute stuff that solves a problem for
them, not for anyone else.  There is not a lot of incentive to solve
a problem that doesn't impact them.

We (the PSC) has the power to accept or reject an RFC, or to turn it
back for rewriting with comments.  And at the end of the day, it is a
group decision to accept it.  I, for one, will be happy to get any
outside contributions and will be generally accepting of those
contributions even if they don't meet all potential needs.  You have
to start somewhere.

Anyway, that's my opinion ... :)

Cheers

Paul