[mapguide-psc] RFC process...

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sun Oct 29 22:18:58 EST 2006

Ok, ok ... I'll keep arguing ... ;)

On 29-Oct-06, at 4:13 PM, Jason Birch wrote:

> This whole discussion is only really relevant for large features/
> refactorings.  Small or obvious features (such as adding a new
> version of WMS support) will likely just be met with a "looks good"
> on the dev list, and then breeze through the RFC process.

perhaps this meets my concern ... we can include something like the
text you proposed before but I think it needs to be either preceded
by the above or modified to be more in line with the above.  What you
wrote before made it sound like if I tried to develop anything for
mapguide without first consulting the PSC, I could be in a world of
hurt :)

This also mostly applies to developers who are not currently
committers, people who want to hack in a new feature relatively
quickly and are willing to contribute it but might not even attempt
after reading your caveats on development.  I want to make it as easy
and painless as possible for these folks, quality and usefulness of
the code notwithstanding.

I think we were thinking at different ends of the scale of
contribution.  I don't expect non-committers to bring in large
features and refactoring ... the code base is probably too large and
complex for someone to be able to do something large without talking
to the dev list ... so we'll know about it before anyway.

Paul