[mapguide-users] RE: RE: Google Maps and KML Support

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Wed Jun 14 12:09:22 EDT 2006

I think that no matter how you obtain your placemarks for Google Maps, the
same client-side performance limitations exist since that is where all of
the parsing of the resultant XML is done.  Yes, performance definitely drags
when a lot of markers are first drawn.  I was initially redrawing the
markers for every view change, but that was slower than it needed to be.  So
now, I cache all markers in a client array, make the call to the MGOS server
to get the next marker set, compare those with the ones in the array and
then only draw the new ones and stuff those into the array.  Performance is
much better now on a session by session basis and the markers are never
cleared off the screen.  Even then, several hundred markers are often drawn
during one event and I haven't seen performance lag too badly.

I've found that doing spatial envelope queries with FDO performance seems
fine but then again, I have not benchmarked that against doing the same in
native Oracle Spatial.  Experience would say that doing it directly in
Oracle Spatial would be a bit faster.

Andy