[Mapguide_users] Article request from APA's InfoTech and OSGeo newsletter

Nathalie Mainland Nathalie.Mainland at autodesk.com
Fri Jan 5 19:31:05 EST 2007

The editor of APA's InfoTech newsletter recently contacted us for case
studies that demonstrate how planners and/or communities have used open
source technology in a planning context (full details below). If you are
working with MapGuide Open Source and would be interested in being
interviewed for an article, please contact me at
nathalie.mainland at autodesk.com.  And for the next OSGeo newsletter,
we're also looking for MapGuide Open Source case studies. If you have an
implementation or sample application that you would be willing to share
with the community, we'd like to highlight your work in the next
newsletter. Thanks for your help.

Nathalie Mainland

nathalie.mainland at autodesk.com

415-507-8221

InfoTech Newsletter Theme: Open Source Planning Technology
(http://www.planning.org/infotech/)

Open Source technology is changing the way we think about technology.
Procedures that might once have been difficult to master, like building
a website or posting a map for online commentary, are now user-friendly
and intuitive. Best of all, open source technologies are free. However,
since open source software is often under development, there are risks
involved in its use.

We are looking for case studies that demonstrate how planners and/or
communities have used open source technology in a planning context; what
worked well and what didn't?

For example, projects that used open source technology for:

* Creating a website

* Doing GIS analysis

* Creating a public participation forum

In particular we are soliciting articles and sidebars that focus on:

* Case studies directly from communities

* Lessons learned (both positive and negative) regarding the use of open
source technology in planning

Please submit your article ideas to: Jocelyn Hittle, jhittle at orton.org.
Upon acceptance of topic, article drafts will be due by January 19,
2007.