[MapProxy-dev] RFC: extended demo website for internal/external capabilities

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Wed Dec 15 19:47:18 PST 2021

Hi there,

I always had problems with displaying the capabilities documents within
the demo website when running MapProxy behind a reverse proxy. I had
opened #495 for this.

Since I needed both, the internal and the external server address, to
debug a running project I have extended the demo website to display the
capabilities documents in two flavours.

- internal: like http://0.0.0.0:8000/... or http://10.0.13.37:8080/...
- external: like http://example.org/...

So it's way easier to get a "local" capabilities document when debugging
on the server, while also being able to get the "external" one for
debugging in use with a reverse-proxy, etc.

There are no problems with backwards compatibility:
The URL parameter "type=external" shows the external document. Dropping
the key "type" or another value, like "type=internal" , shows the
original one.

Example call:
- internal: https://10.0.13.37:8000/demo/?wms_capabilities
- internal: https://10.0.13.37:8000/demo/?wms_capabilities&type=internal
- external: https://10.0.13.37:8000/demo/?wms_capabilities&type=external

Since this change could be controversial, it needs to be discussed here.

Best regards,
Tobias