[MapProxy] Install on windows

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Mon Apr 19 07:41:07 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 19.04.2010, at 09:19, Vidal, Antoni wrote:
> I’m not a systems expert, and I wolud like to try to install
> MapProxy on a windows machine. Anyone have some guidelines, manual
> or documentation to do it?

We started with some windows specific installation documentation. It
is not online yet, but you will find the relevant part below. It is
written with reStructuredText, so just ignore the markup.

Let me know if that works for you, if anything is unclear or if you
have any suggestions for improvements.

Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de>
Omniscale - Dominik Helle, Oliver Tonnhofer GbR
Nadorster Str. 60, 26123 Oldenburg
Tel: +49(0)441/9392774-2 (Fax: 9)

Installation on Windows
=======================

At frist you need a working Python installation. You can download
Python from: http://www.python.org/download/. MapProxy requires Python
2.5 or 2.6, it is *not* compatible with Python 3.

We highly advise you to install MapProxy into a `virtual Python
environment`_.
`Read about virtualenv <http://virtualenv.openplans.org/#what-it-
does>`_ if you want to now more about the benefits.

A self-contained version of virtualenv is available at:
http://bitbucket.org/ianb/virtualenv/raw/1.4.6/virtualenv.py

.. _`virtual Python environment`: http://guide.python-distribute.org/virtualenv.html

To create a new virtual environment for our proxy installation and to
activate it go to the command line and call::

  C:\Python26\python path\to\virtualenv.py c:\mapproxy_venv
  C:\mapproxy_venv\Scripts\activate.bat

.. note::
   The last step is required every time you start working with your
MapProxy installation.

.. note::
   If you put you virtual environment in a directory that contains a
space in the name (e.g. "Documents and Settings" or "Program Files"),
you will not be able to use the `--reload` options of `paster` unless
you `install the appropriate win32api module <http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/
 >`_.

After you activated the new environment, you have access to ``python``
and ``easy_install``.
To install MapProxy with all dependencies now call::

   easy_install MapProxy

This might take some minutes.

To check if the MapProxy was successfully installed you can directly
call the `version` module. You should see the installed version number.
::

     python -m mapproxy.core.version

Now continue with the main installation instructions and head to
`Create a configuration`. http://mapproxy.org/docs/latest/install.html#create-a-configuration