[MapProxy] TileCache vs MapProxy

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Sun Aug 15 11:37:44 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 14.08.2010, at 22:58, Sebastian E. Ovide wrote:
> Last week I had tried TileCache and it is very easy to install and to configure...I liked it... nevertheless the pre seeding or pre caching is quite slow... it reads one tile at a time !
>
> Today I've just found MapProxy....
>
> just wondering if MapProxy is in any way better than TileCache... Is it better in pre seeding ?

Of course it is better, subjective and objective :)

It supports multiple processes with the -c command-line option, you can limit the seed area with polygon or shapefiles (less tiles to seed means it is faster), and the strategy in which order the tiles will be seeded is more sophisticated. See http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapproxy/2010-June/000089.html

Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de>
Omniscale - Dominik Helle, Oliver Tonnhofer GbR
Nadorster Str. 60, 26123 Oldenburg
Tel: +49(0)441/9392774-2 (Fax: 9)