[MapProxy] Question on image formats

Guillaume Sueur no-reply at neogeo-online.net
Tue Dec 21 11:30:37 EST 2010

Hi again,

New thread then,
I was wondering about image formats and how to preserver initial WMS
quality.
It's quite easy with jpg. Setting jpeg quality to 95 makes no alteration
to the original image (which is 75 % from MapServer).
I'm not sure I'm doing right with PNG. I have installed the special PIL
version to handle quantization. But actually, I find the 8bits images
rather poor in terms of quality, and the 24bits ones a bit fat.
What should I do if I wanted to keep the exact format delivered by
MapServer, which could be a quantized 8bits PNG (ie, how to keep 8 bits
without quantizing again...) ?

Thanks

Guillaume