[MapProxy] What is the best Unix platform for MapProxy production deployment?

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Thu Jan 6 13:49:07 EST 2011

On 06.01.2011, at 16:14, Jason Lee wrote:
> I am looking at deploying MapProxy on a Unix production environment and wonder which version of Unix is best? (Ubuntu, Centos etc.) I notice the MapProxy installation instructions are based on Debian 5.0, is this the best one?

It doesn't really matter, as long as there is a recent Python version installed/available. AFAIK, RHEL/CentOS still comes only with 2.4 which is too old. We are running MapProxy on Debian 5 and different Ubuntu versions and also have customers on OpenSuse. So you should choose a system where you are most comfortable with.

> Also, is MapProxy optimized for 64-bit systems?

No, but the most CPU intensive stuff is done by the Python Image Library (PIL) and I don't know if it does run faster on 64 bit systems.

Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de>
Omniscale - Dominik Helle, Oliver Tonnhofer GbR
Nadorster Str. 60, 26123 Oldenburg
Tel: +49(0)441/9392774-2 (Fax: 9)