[MapProxy] MapProxy serving gdal2tiles output

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Nov 28 13:32:24 PST 2012

> From: mapproxy-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:mapproxy-
> Subject: Re: [MapProxy] MapProxy serving gdal2tiles output
>
> > What I am doing is defining a cache without a source, giving the
> directory where the tile structure is located.
> > I followed the documentation and some information I got asking on IRC
> and this is my yaml file so far:
> > http://pastebin.com/wAkM4G2d
>
> This looks good. The tricky part will be to configure the right grid of
> your tiles. I don't know how gdal2tiles works for non-4326/3875 images.
> Does gdal2tiles give you some information (resolutions, bbox)?
> I would remove min_res and add all resolutions that are tiled.

By default gdal2tiles uses the OGC TMS spec instead of the Google/OSM one.
It's fairly trivial to convert between these with a shell script.

I have a source which is gdal2tiles generated and what I did was copy up to
z18 to my remote server and then have it fetching z19 and z20 from my home
server. The grid definition I used is

  z20:
    # About 100mm/px in Vancouver
    base: GLOBAL_MERCATOR
    origin: ul
    num_levels: 21

The relevant cache and source are

  surrey2011_cache:
    grids: [z20]
    sources: [merry_surrey2011_tms]
    format: image/png
    cache:
      type: file
      directory_layout: tms

  merry_surrey2011_tms:
    type: tile
    url: http://home.server.name/tiles/Surrey2011/%(tms_path)s.png
    grid: z20
    transparent: true
    coverage:
      polygons: 'wkt/surrey2011.wkt'
      polygons_srs: 'EPSG:4326'

I believe all you'd have to do to use the OCG TMS numbering is change the
origin.