[MapProxy] Mapproxy + Mapserver reprojections projections

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Oct 2 19:12:23 PDT 2012

> Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 1:40 AM
> Subject: [MapProxy] Mapproxy + Mapserver reprojections projections
>
> I have a setup with mapproxy serving imagery from geotiffs using
> MapServer.
> Mapproxy serves up tiles. To do this I have to reproject the geotiffs
> from UTM 10N to Google Mercator. I can do this in either mapproxy or
> mapserver.
>
> I'm wondering which would be best for both quality and speed.
>
> I am serving the images as RGBA PNGs, resampled with bicubic resampling
> in mapserver.

Answering my own question in part, I rendered the same tile with mapproxy
doing the reprojection and mapserver doing the reprojection.

The live view can be found at
http://imagery.paulnorman.ca/tiles/surrey2010/16/10395/22450.png

The two renderings are
http://imagery.paulnorman.ca/tiles/mapproxy_reproject.png
http://imagery.paulnorman.ca/tiles/mapserver_reproject.png

The mapproxy reprojection is smoother, perhaps because the image is scaled
from the original when requested by mapserver then reprojected by mapproxy.

The mapserver reprojection is crisper but there are more jagged parts.

I have a lanczos result from gdal2tiles, but it's on an unattached external
drive right now. Lanczos is of course much more computationally expensive.