[MapProxy] mapproxy behind a reverse proxy and use of X-Script-Name

Anne Blankert anne.blankert at geodan.nl
Fri Apr 5 09:04:07 PDT 2013

Hello List,

I've created support for a new reverse proxy header "X-Forwarded-Path"
(source code changes described below).

As far as I can see, this does not break current functionality, but adds
the possibility to fully reverse proxy MapProxy services like wms, wmts,
tms, tiles behind a reverse proxy.

Example reverse proxy settings for Apache config:
============
#WMS
<Location /wms>
      ProxyPass http://internalserver/mapproxy/multi_wsgi_app_config/service
      RequestHeader add X-Forwarded-Path /wms
</Location>

#WMTS REST
<Location /wmts/ >
    ProxyPass http://internalserver/mapproxy/multi_wsgi_app_config/wmts/
    RequestHeader add X-Forwarded-Path /wmts/
</Location>

#WMTS KVP
<Location /wmts >
    ProxyPass http://internalserver/mapproxy/multi_wsgi_app_config/wmts
    RequestHeader add X-Forwarded-Path /wmts
</Location>

#TMS
  <Location /some_path/tms>
         ProxyPass http://internalserver/mapproxy/multi_wsgi_app_config/tms
         RequestHeader add X-Forwarded-Path /some_path/tms
</Location>

#TILES
  <Location /some_other_path/tiles>
         ProxyPass
http://internalserver/mapproxy/multi_wsgi_app_config/tiles
         RequestHeader add X-Forwarded-Path /some_other_path/tiles
</Location>
============

To make this work, the following source changes were applied to MapProxy
version 1.5:

4 files, base directory: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mapproxy/

file 1: request/base.py, add new method to class Request(object)

     @property
     def resource_url(self):
         forwarded_path = self.environ.get('HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PATH')
         if forwarded_path:
             path_info = self.environ.get('PATH_INFO')
             pos = path_info.rfind('tms')
             if pos >= 0:
                path_info = path_info[pos+3:]
             else:
                path_info = ''
             return (self.host_url.rstrip('/')
                 + urllib.quote(forwarded_path).rstrip('/') + path_info)
         else:
             return self.base_url

file 2: service/wmts.py, replace line "md['url'] = tile_request.url" by:
  md['url'] = tile_request.http.resource_url

file 3: service/wms.py, replace line "md['url'] = map_request.url" by:
  md['url'] = map_request.http.resource_url

file 4: service/tile.py, replace line "md['url'] =
map_request.http.base_url" by:
  md['url'] = map_request.http.resource_url + path_info

Regards,

Anne