[MapProxy] hardware requirements

Anne Blankert anne.blankert at geodan.nl
Fri Dec 6 02:01:28 PST 2013

Hello Christian,

I think a pretty modest server suffices.
Mapproxy uses very little CPU.
Disk IOPS is low, because MapProxy serves full tile files which is much
easier to deliver than for instance database index data.
You may need a lot of disk space, because tile sets can be huge. If you
are using a linux file system, remember to format the disk with enough
inodes. On a default formatted disk, you may run out of inodes way
before you run out of disk space.

Of course, if you expect to deliver millions of tiles per hour, you
should provide the necessary resources for that, but you may discover
that the internet bandbwidth will be the major bottle-neck in delivery
performance.

For resource calculation consider:
1. wat is the expected total number of tiles ? => disk space and inodes
2. how many tiles should be delivered per minute at peak moments? =>
number of tiles x average tile size / 60 sec = bandwidth (bytes / sec)
3. peak minute number of tiles / 60 sec = maximum average disk seek time

Anne