[MapProxy] Threading & Memory Errors

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Wed Feb 27 04:36:16 PST 2013

Hi Keith,

On 25.02.2013, at 04:38, Keith Moss wrote:
> We've started noticing memory and threading errors. (stacktrace attached below)
>
> We've noticed the "can't start new thread" errors in small amounts previously, but in the past couple of days (which did correspond roughly with spikes in usage) we've seen them in much larger numbers (~2000 on Sunday, another 600 this morning before Apache restarted itself). The "out of memory" errors have different stacktraces each time (as you might expect). I haven't got any data yet on what memoy usage on the server is at these times but I've never seen it come close to maxing out the available memory when I've been monitoring it. The httpd process does seem to be gradually growing its memory usage all of the time, though.

I'm not aware of any memory leaks in MapProxy or it's dependencies.

Do you have some numbers of the memory usage of the httpd process over time? How much memory has the server? How much is typically free? Are there any other memory hogs on the machine?

And how do you use MapProxy? Tile server? WMS server? Do you make large requests (say 2000x2000 or larger)?

Oliver Tonnhofer    | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG    | http://omniscale.com
http://mapproxy.org | https://github.com/olt    | @oltonn