[MapProxy] WMS vs WMTS ( speed )

Martin Kokeš shr3k at typo3-hosting.com
Sun Mar 3 03:52:40 PST 2013

Hi,

I suppose there must be. WMS requests aren't (or shouldn't be) cacheable by browser unlike WMTS/TMS requests and MapProxy must these images stitch together from tile cache eventually cut it again to cilent side specified pseudo tiles or even worse, depending on cache/WMS configuration, reproject it or resample it to fullfill client's request. This is favorable in case of MapProxy acting as local WMS cache for busy public WMS service - you can seamlessly work with already seeded coverages with your favorable GIS or CAD client.

On the other hand in case of WMTS/TMS client must know and must exactly specify which tile he wants. Reprojection is possible only on client side (in example with help of OpenLayers/proj4js etc.). Besides in case of WMTS/TMS there's possibility to force nginx/apache to serve these seeded tiles directly from MapProxy cache with full speed you can achieve.

Martin
  _____