[MapProxy] Distortion around antimeridian/date line with EPSG:3338

Bruce Crevensten becrevensten at alaska.edu
Sat Oct 26 15:46:35 PDT 2013

Andre, Oliver, thanks very much for the responses.  I'll explore
alternatives for the project I'm working on.

Andre, can you give me more detail regarding your idea of building the
picture in two parts?  Would that be a MapProxy configuration, i.e. create
two layers with bounding boxes to prevent the problematic overlap, then add
both layers on the OpenLayers client to yield the desired result?  Or are
you thinking of a different approach?

Regards,
- Bruce

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On 2013-10-24 14:01, Oliver Tonnhofer wrote :
>
> On 23.10.2013, at 21:37, Bruce Crevensten wrote:
>

>  I'm trying to use MapProxy to present OpenStreetMap layers in a nonstandard projection, EPSG:3338 (Alaska Albers).  The end goal is to use this as a base layer in an app that adds other layers showing historical sea ice extent around Alaska, which is why this (or a similar polar projection) is needed.
>
> Instead of a clean map, I'm seeing extreme distortion around the antimeridian/date line.  Screenshot of distortion around antimeridian/date line is here:
>
>  Unfortunately there is no explicit support for handling the antimeridian in MapProxy (yet).
> You will get unwanted results as soon as you cross the dateline (and that may happen internally when MapProxy transforms bounding boxes between 3857 and 3338).
>
>  Out of curiosity, I'd like to know the result of the test I suggested and
> hence the possibility of the same kludge as for the unlucky islanders:
> build the picture in two parts on each side of that line.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   André.

*Bruce Crevensten*
*
*
*Senior Software Engineer
*
(SNAP) Scenarios Network for Alaska & Arctic Planning
www.snap.uaf.edu

*Engineering Coordinator*
(ACUASI) Alaska Center for Unmanned Aerial Systems Integration