[MapProxy] merged layer

BERÉNYI Attila aberenyi at gislab.hu
Mon Apr 7 06:52:02 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'd like to create a 'merged layer' using two caches. The reason is that
the update frequency of the two caches are different and I really do not
want to re-seed the a merged cache every time an update comes in for single
source.

I have tried something like this:
test.yaml
------------
services:
  demo:
  wmts:
  wms:
    srs: ['EPSG:3857']
  tms:
    use_grid_names: true
    origin: 'nw'

layers:
  - name: merged_layer
    title: Merged layer
    sources: [cache_1, cache_2]
  #test container
  - name: root_container
    title: Root container
    layers:
      - name: layer_1
        title: Layer #1title: Layer 1
        sources: [cache_1]
      - name: layer_2
        title: Layer 2
        sources: [cache_2]

caches:
  cache_1:
    grids: [global_mercator]
    sources: [source_1]
  cache_2:
    grids: [global_mercator]
    sources: [source_2]

sources:
  source_1:
    type: mapnik
    mapfile: source_1.xml
    transparent: true
  source_2:
    type: mapnik
    mapfile: source_2.xml
    transparent: true

grids:
  global_mercator:
    base: GLOBAL_MERCATOR
    srs: 'EPSG:3857'
    origin: nw

The merged_layer only shows up in the WMS section, which (more or less)
makes sense.

Is it possible to use TMS/WMTS with merged_layer? (I guess the answer is
no.) Maybe with a 'virtual' container?

Using the WMS service - it seems that the two separate caches are created
and populated with tiles - this is exactly what I need. A few questions
popped up though:
What are the performance implications of using WMS compared to TMS?
Does the WMS service really uses the generated tiles or it will (re)create
them on every single request?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Attila