[MapProxy] google static maps api

Alex Gunyon alex.gunyon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 16:49:49 PDT 2014

Hi all

I'm trying to use mapproxy and google static maps api
<https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/staticmaps/> with this
config <http://hastebin.com/inuwuciwic.rb>.

I hoped this could be an alternative to means of getting basemap imagery
into qgis, as the qgis openlayers plugin + map composer is a bit buggy at
present.

When I run *mapproxy-util serve-develop mapproxy.yaml* I can see the
requests going as
http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=1,0&zoom=1&format=png&size=256&key=myapikeyhere
and
understandably when I view the web map at http://127.0.0.1:8080/ I get the
error "could not get any sources" http 400.

The api wants to receive xy requests as lat,long - is there a way to get
mapproxy to send requests using this format?

I'm new to web mapping in general so there are probably mistakes in my
config and, fundamentally, I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is
faesible. I wanted to avoid directly accessing google's images as this is
not allowed.

mapproxy 1.7.1
ubuntu 14.0.1 64-bit

Many thanks =]