[MapProxy] Shifted elements in tiles

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Sep 4 22:55:32 PDT 2014

On 9/4/2014 10:24 PM, TDS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The following components are used:
> - CartoCSS: https://github.com/egore/openstreetmap-carto with defaults
> scale=1 and metatile=2
That repo is significantly behind openstreetmap-carto, and improvements
have been made to road shields since then.

Additionally, 2x2 meta-tiles are very small for production use and will
lead to more labeling problems. 8x8 is standard, but even 4x4 will be
better.

> - Mapnik v2.2.0
> - MapProxy 1.6 (default options for tiles, directory format TMS)

What buffer do you have set? That's probably the most significant
setting, assuming the style is not clipping the linestrings for shields.
> - Postgres 9.3
> - OSM full planet import
>
> And now we have at different locations some strange shifts. Look at
> the shields.
>

> Can someone explain why this can happen? With Mapnik as a real
> Mapserver and single tile no problems (of course).
>
> Mayby someone with a solution?
It is inherently impossible to avoid all meta-tile label placement
problems unless refusing to place labels on MT boundariesaltogether.