[MapProxy] 404 error when attempting to seed from arcgis source

EVANS Wayne Wayne.EVANS at frequentis.com
Thu Feb 2 14:17:49 PST 2017

Hi List,

I am a MapProxy newbie - I have been working with a system that was set up by others to use WMS / tile sources. (I have previously successfully run seeds with WMS sources using locally stored raw data files.)

I am now trying to add an ArcGIS source which is provided by the customers GIS department and will be updated automatically weekly so that we can pull updates via this system rather than having to copy raw data files over.

The MapProxy is running on a Windows7 machine.

I had to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.9.1 before the MapProxy demo would start with the ArcGIS source defined. Now when I try to run a seed I get 404 errors:

An error occured. Retry in 256 seconds: SourceError('HTTP Error "http://hvg-app-d004.abc.dev/arcgis/rest/services
/xxx/layer_Fill_trans/MapServer/export?f=image&format=png&imageSR=900913&bboxSR=900913&bbox=-9138963.97583,3570373.5912,-9
127651.29565,3581686.27139&size=1184,1184": 404',). Retries left: 93

When I copy and paste this URL into a web browser (on the same MapProxy machine) I do not get a 404 - I get a webpage that appears to have a blank white page. This makes me suspect that maybe there is something blocking the traffic from the MapProxy application to the ArcGIS Server??

I do not control either the MapProxy server (PC) or the ArcGIS server - I am the System Engineer in the middle trying to interface between a map update provider and a GeoServer / GeoWebCache based map function on a proprietary application that my company provides. (I am also not the one who architected this solution...)

I also get errors when I click on the png or jpeg Demo link for the same layer on the MapProxy Demo webpage. (Is this pulled from the cache or does it come directly from the source?)

Are the bounds, max image settings etc. configured on the arcgis server critical to getting this to work correctly?

My relevant MapProxy configuration for the arcgis source is:

services:
  demo:
  kml:
  tms:
    # needs no arguments
  wmts:
  wms:
    # srs: ['EPSG:4326', 'EPSG:900913']
    # image_formats: ['image/jpeg', 'image/png']
    md:
      # metadata used in capabilities documents
      title: MapProxy WMS Proxy
      abstract: This is the fantastic MapProxy.
      online_resource: http://mapproxy.org/
      contact:
        person: Your Name Here
        position: Technical Director
        organization:
        address: Fakestreet 123
        city: Somewhere
        postcode: 12345
        country: Germany
        phone: +49(0)000-000000-0
        fax: +49(0)000-000000-0
        email: info at omniscale.de
      access_constraints:
        This service is intended for private and evaluation use only.
        The data is licensed as Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0
        (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/)
      fees: 'None'

layers:
  - name: frq_abc_florida_layer_fill_proxy
    title: frq_abc_florida_layer_fill_proxy
    sources: [frq_abc_florida_layer_fill_cache]

caches:
  frq_abc_florida_layer_fill_cache:
    grids: [bing_grid]
    sources: [frq_abc_layer_fill_arcgissource]
    cache:
      type: file

sources:
  frq_abc_layer_fill_arcgissource:
    type: arcgis
    req:
      url: http://hvg-app-d004.abc.dev/arcgis/rest/services/xxx/layer_Fill_trans/MapServer

globals:
  # # coordinate transformation options
  # srs:
  #   # WMS 1.3.0 requires all coordiates in the correct axis order,
  #   # i.e. lon/lat or lat/lon. Use the following settings to
  #   # explicitly set a CRS to either North/East or East/North
  #   # ordering.
  #   axis_order_ne: ['EPSG:9999', 'EPSG:9998']
  #   axis_order_en: ['EPSG:0000', 'EPSG:0001']
  #   # you can set the proj4 data dir here, if you need custom
  #   # epsg definitions. the path must contain a file named 'epsg'
  #   # the format of the file is:
  #   # <4326> +proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs  <>
  #   proj_data_dir: '/path to dir that contains epsg file'

  # # cache options
  cache:
    # where to store the cached images
    base_dir: './cache_data'
    # where to store lockfiles
    lock_dir: './cache_data/locks'
  #   # request x*y tiles in one step
  #   meta_size: [4, 4]
  #   # add a buffer on all sides (in pixel) when requesting
  #   # new images
  #   meta_buffer: 80

  # image/transformation options
  image:
        paletted: false
        #One of nearest, bilinear or bicubic.
        resampling_method: bicubic

Any suggestions you have regarding what could be the cause of these errors would be appreciated!

Thanks, Wayne