[MapProxy] One MapProxy WMS service with layers in different projections

Jason Lee jaslee.st at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:39:20 PST 2018

Hi,
We have 2 pre-tiled map services to serve maps in 2 OpenLayers viewers in
their respective projections, 1). a world set in Web Mercator EPSG:3857
and, 2). a local set in a National mapping projection.

For users requiring the maps in a WMS, we set up a MapProxy service with 2
LAYERS pointing to the 2 tile sets respectively as their SOURCES. We would
like the 2 layers to display in their native projections from the same WMS
service BUT we have an issue such that, for example, when I open the
service in ArcGIS desktop and drag in the local map WMS layer, it displays
fine as expected but when I drag the Web Mercator WMS layer (in a new
session), it always displays it in the local projection rather than Web
Mercator leading to a very distorted initial map. An experienced ArcGIS
user could easily set the view projection accordingly to rectify that.

I wanted to know whether the MapProxy/WMS config could allow the 2 WMS
layers to display in their native projections?

I am guessing is issue is with the client software reading the SRS list in
the order they are presented in the getCapabilities and always uses the 1st
SRS by default. Here is a simplified copy of our YAML:

services:
  wms:
    srs: ['EPSG:xxxx','EPSG:3857']
    md: