[MapProxy] MapProxy PSC

Oliver Tonnhofer olt at omniscale.de
Fri Apr 3 05:57:24 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I hope you are all doing fine in this difficult time.

I'd like to share a few information about the MapProxy project and its future.

You all might have noticed that my responses on this lists became rare, and
that the development of new futures slowed down. This is related to how the
business changed for our company Omniscale in the last few years and it is now
clear for us, that we won't continue to work on MapProxy in the future.

However, MapProxy is far from dead. It is in use all around the world and not
only by end-users, but also by companies that have long term business interest
in MapProxy.

I think that being the single vendor of MapProxy hindered other developers from
becoming more active in the past. We like to change this in the coming weeks
and months.

Right now we have a few developers that are working on improving the dimension
support in MapProxy. We also talked to a few companies that would love to
become more active in the development of MapProxy. So I'm confident that we can
build an active developer community.

I want to bring this forward by building a formal foundation for MapProxy aka
Project Steering Committee (PSC), similar to a lot of other open source
projects.

You can read the PSC guidelines of OpenLayers and MapServer as an example:
- https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/wiki/Steering-Committee
- https://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-23.html

I will ask a few users and developers off-list in the next week if they are
interested in becoming a member of the PSC. Please feel free to e-mail me if
you are also interested or if you want to nominate someone. I think we should
start with 5-10 members.

Please also let me know if you have any comments about the PSC in general and
the PSC guidelines.

Oliver Tonnhofer  | Omniscale GmbH & Co KG  | https://omniscale.com
OpenStreetMap WMS and tile services         | https://maps.omniscale.com