[MapProxy] Heads up - Implementing TIME support in MapProxy

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Feb 27 07:42:29 PST 2020

Hello MapProxy devs and community,

This email is a heads up that we have started to work on the
implementation of WMS TIME dimension support in MapProxy, including
caching and seeding of time-enabled WMS sources, and support for
assembling WMS requests from a time-enabled tile cache.

This work is funded by the Meteorological Service of Canada and will be
used to serve hundreds or time-enabled weather layers, A RFC (Request
For Comments) document is underway and will be shared via this list
soon, so that other devs and contributors can comment on the proposed
approach to ensure that the implementation will meet the expectations of
the project to be included in future releases. (We are also aware of
https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/pull/377 and will actually try to
build on it)

A parallel goal of our initiative will be to set the bases to make it
easier for new devs to join the project as contributors and to assist
Oliver to maintain the project in the long run, inspired by the way
other OSGeo projects work. (We had some exchanges with Oliver on this
offlist already)

Finally, I am only the project lead here, the guys doing the bulk of the
coding work are:

- Ariel Nunez (https://github.com/ingenieroariel)
- Denis Rykov (https://github.com/drnextgis)
- Tom Kralidis (https://github.com/tomkralidis) - Tom is also the end
client who will be testing/validating the final results.

We should hear from them soon.

Cheers all

Daniel
--