[MapProxy] speed of preseeding existing wmts

Clemens Rudert clemens at opengis.ch
Wed Apr 13 03:13:47 PDT 2022

Hello all

I have the situation that I want to cache an existing WMTS to my projects
infrastructure to be more secure with 24/7 availability.

I try to cache 4 layers provided by swisstopo, the federal swiss geo data
agency. This WMTS's are really fast and usually having no issues with
catching the tiles.

I do setup my mapproxy to have this 4 layers definded in epsg:2056 and I
also defined the correct grid sucessfully. Maps are cached on request and
it works as expected.

All is running in a Docker-Container

Internet-connection supports up to 1gbit/s and shouldn't be a bottleneck.

But now If I try to preseed this 4 layers I can't get real performance out.
I defined BBOXES in epsg:2056 to limit the area. I do not reproject
anything. I simply store loaded tiles. In my understanding there shouldn't
be a bottleneck somewhere. But there is. I tried the mapproxy-seed command
with many different settings. Also with -c from 1-25. But there is no
difference. The different spawned processes are using around 1.5% of CPU
and net throughput is somewhere around 300kb/s if I use 25 concurrent
tasks. It stays at around 50kb/s when I use one concurrent task.

Machine is a 8 core with 32gb of ram (not running into limits) and a
usually fast SSD.

I write here because I can't come to a conclusion what might be wrong.
Maybe it's something simple I miss here?

I Attached the 2 config files I use.

Cheers
Clemens

--
 <https://qfield.org/get/>

QFIELD 2.0 IS HERE! - Hold the power of QGIS in
your hand - learn more
<https://www.opengis.ch/2022/04/05/qfield-2-0-is-here/> - get it now
<https://qfield.org/get>