[MapProxy] Fixing or working around #583 (export using the existing image format of a source cache)?

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Wed Jun 22 01:19:10 PDT 2022

Hi there!

I recently discovered a bug with mapproxy-util export, where it would
export tiles in the wrong format (PNG instead of JPEG):
https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/issues/583

Basically it seems that when there is a cache B, using another cache A
as its source with the same grid, an export with mapproxy-util will
ignore the image format defined for the cache B but instead blindly use
the tiles from cache A.

There are some prior reports of similar issues, marked fixed already:
https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/issues/94
https://github.com/mapproxy/mapproxy/issues/52

I might potentially get some capacity to look into this but would be
fairly lost at first. Does someone have any pointers where one could
start looking or how to most easily understand the concepts and code
paths around this?

Alternatively, maybe there are some hacky workarounds. I wonder if I
could specify another grid that is for all intents and purposes
identical, not not identical to MapProxy, so that it would not lead to
this issue? :> Another idea would be using seeding to a file instead of
export but I'd like to avoid that approach for now (mostly because I am
not sure if the issue would not happen there as well).

Cheers, Hannes

--
Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater

Schon gewusst?
In unserem Blog geben wir Tipps & Tricks zu Open-Source-GIS-Software
und berichten aus unserem Experten-Alltag:
https://wheregroup.com/blog/

WhereGroup GmbH
Grevenweg 89
20537 Hamburg