[MapProxy] Reverse proxy problems with ArcGIS

Brian Wilson bwilson at clatsopcounty.gov
Mon Mar 6 09:27:26 PST 2023

Short version --  ArcGIS + Caddy (reverse proxy) + Mapproxy, BAD.
Specifically, do you have any way to debug what might be different between the headers NGINX sends and the ones CADDY sends? I am resourceful, just point me in a direction.

TO THE MAPPROXY AUTHORS - I've been using MapProxy for about 4 years now, THANKS

TL;DR ---

I'm running dockers, one with the reverse proxy and one with mapproxy. It works great ... ALMOST perfect... I really don't want to give up using docker, it's so clean and easy to manage.

First I had nginx working as the reverse proxy but sometimes it would fail to work after a reboot. The fix was to restart the dockers manually. I am guessing some kind of race condition exists where one container starts before the other is ready.
Since I don't have control over when the IT dept reboots the server, I'd randomly lose service usually at 4am on Sunday.

I switched to using Caddy as the reverse. This worked perfectly (I thought). Then I noticed it Mapproxy no longer worked with ArcGIS Pro. Not a big deal, I don't need that. I use the services in ArcGIS Web Appbuilder apps.
Then I started hearing people can no longer print maps containing air photos. I am assuming these are related. The Esri Print Service does its own calls to get the air photos, builds a PDF, lets you download it. Normally your browser is sending the requests and rendering on your computer. So, it's ESRI failing in both cases (Pro and Web). (There are no useful log messages I can find)

When I switch back to nginx, I can use Mapproxy in ArcGIS Pro. When I switch to Caddy, nope. So OBVIOUSLY you say, use nginx. Only see point #1 - the services become randomly unavailable in this case.

If anyone wants to see my work or use it themselves it's all in these github repos.

MapProxy -- https://github.com/Wildsong/docker-mapproxy
Caddy as reverse -- https://github.com/Wildsong/docker-caddy-proxy
NGINX as reverse -- https://github.com/Wildsong/docker-proxy

Brian Wilson
GIS Programmer Analyst
Clatsop County GIS Services
503-338-3668
x1134

This message has been prepared on resources owned by Clatsop County, Oregon. It is subject to the Internet and Online Services Use Policy and Procedures of Clatsop County.