[MapQuery] Directory layout + external libs in Git repo

Christian Wygoda arsgeografica at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 11 08:19:45 EST 2010

Hi all,

I am pretty busy doing massive raster calculations using GRASS for an
freelance project for the last week and will be busy with it for a while to
come. While watching GRASS eating my CPU cycles, I looked trough the code
repo and asked myself two things:

1) The file and directory layout is not very cleaned up right now. Code and
OpenLayers mixed in one directory, for example. I'd suggest having demo,
lib(external dependencies like OL, jQuery), src and test directories.

2) We're keep OpenLayers, jQuery and jQuery UI code in our own repo. I'd
suggest not to do that, instead have a strict layout (see above) and make
developers responsible for having the right code available. A README file in
the lib dir should name explicit dependencies and how to arrange files to
make demos, tests, etc. work. (is there something like pip for python for
javascript?)

Any ideas are appreciated. Cheers,