[geojquery] jQuery Spatial

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:04:15 EDT 2010

Hi All,

jQuery Spatial was proposed as a new name for this project. Here's a
rundown of what I think the impact would be, there are two scenarios,
for both we need, of course, ask the jQuery project if we are allowed to
use the name.

Scenario 1:

We just want the name. We leave the project as is (on Gitorious) with
the plan to assign the copyright to OSGeo.

Scenario 2:

We really want to be an official jQuery project (like jQuery UI or
jQuery Mobile). This probably needs way more effort. This would also
mean that we would use the jQuery infrastructure instead of the OSGeo
ones/the one we'd like to (e.g. this means forums instead of mailing
lists and Github instead of Gitorious). We also wouldn't assign the
copyright to OSGeo, but to something else.

My conclusion:

Scenario 2 sounds too far away for now. Why should this project become
an official jQuery one if we don't have a single developer that is
involved with jQuery/UI/Mobile?

And for me Scenario 1 sounds just too silly. It is a bit like "hey can
we use your popular name to promote our small project".

Anyway, these are my thoughts and I might be completely wrong with my
conclusion. If any one wants to go for any of these scenarios, please
step up, but you can be sure it will need some effort. I can (thanks to
Christian Willmes) connect you to a jQuery UI developer (Jörn Zäfferer)
who can answer question about who to ask for scenario 1 or 2, but I
won't have the time to do it myself.

Cheers,
   Volker