[geojquery] Playing with the prototype GeojQuery Widget

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 03:58:31 EDT 2010

On 21.09.2010 13:44, Anne Blankert wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> At the Foss4G code sprint we decided to use the jquery-ui $.widget
> factory for geojquery.
> As I did not know about the details of this factory, I did some playing
> around and wrote a small article at
> http://www.gitorious.org/geojquery/pages/Playing
> Please let me know (or edit the wiki) if you discover nonsense or if you
> think things can be done in a more elegant way.
>
> Anne

Hi Anne,

nice write up! Thanks for pointing out the problems some problems.

The jQuery UI widget factory is used to keep our code as minimal as
possible. Though you are right, it add the dependency on jQuery UI. I
think this is fine for any widgets (like a layer switcher, which
contains UI elements anyway), but it's not a good thing for the main
geoMap widget. As we don't use the full functionality of the widget
factory anyway I propose to implement our own subset of the factory
ourselves so we don't have the UI dependency for simple maps.

I have to admit I wasn't fully aware of the "magic" getters and and
setters (my jQuery UI knowledge dates a few versions back). I will have
a look. It should definitely be possible to have multiple map instances
easily with the normal jQuery syntax.

Cheers,
   Volker