[geojquery] Re: Name change

Anne Blankert anne.blankert at geodan.nl
Mon Sep 27 05:47:00 EDT 2010

 +1 on MapQuery

I am taking the liberty of summarizing the discussion. This summary may
be somewhat biased to my preference of MapQuery, so please feel free to
comment if you think the other options need more support.

GeojQuery
pros: it is already here, domain is claimed, name is published,
announced at foss4g, no renaming hassle, etc
cons: difficult to pronounce Geo-Jay-Query. The name pattern is more or
less a copy of the name 'Geo-Ext'

MapQuery
pros: same pattern as GeojQuery but much easier to pronounce, the
project  is more about 'maps' than 'geo', the word 'query' is used in
the same way as in jQuery, the project is about querying and presenting
maps like jQuery is about querying and presenting DOM elements.
cons: renaming hassle, some people find the word 'query' confusing, what
is there to query? 'MapQuery' loses direct reference to jQuery.

jQuery-spatial
pros: many other spatially related projects use '-spatial' in the same
name pattern. JQuery advises to name plugin files 'jquery.xxx' where xxx
is the projectname. It is a pro when file name and project name match.
cons: renaming hassle, pattern is same as 'jquery-ui' which might make
people believe that jQuery-spatial has the same 'official' jQuery status
as the -ui project. The word 'Spatial' does not map really well on
visualizing maps.

This overview brings me to:

jQuery-map
cons: this is already used for the jQuery.map() method.

Regards,

Anne