[MapQuery] API docs online

Steven Ottens steven at minst.net
Sat Jun 11 14:55:02 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

For those who missed it; there was a codesprint last week where we didn't so much write code as defining what MapQuery actually is and came up with a basic API. In short; we want to develop MapQuery as a jQuery plugin which (jQuery) application developers can use to develop rich internet applications with maps. Important here is that we try to cater jQuery developers, not so much OpenLayers ones. This means that things sometimes will be done differently from OpenLayers because it makes more sense in the jQuery paradigm.
It also means that our target user is not a full blown OpenLayers expert and doesn't need all options OpenLayers provide (note that they are available to the user through the direct access to OpenLayers we do provide). The API we designed aims to provide all functions one need to create and manage maps, without the ambiguity that results from the various multiple-exclusive properties that are available to power users in OpenLayers.

You can find the first documentation of this API here: https://github.com/mapquery/mapquery/wiki/API-for-the-MapQuery-developer

Also as you can see we decided to move to github. All the widgets that were in the gitorious repository will be moved to github, but since we had such a great API change, it will take a bit to get them working with this new API. We hope this API is simple and solid enough to be stable for at least a few months, although it probably will be expanded over time.

Regards,
Steven