[MapQuery] API docs online

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Tue Jun 14 08:49:53 EDT 2011

  On 6/11/2011 10:14 PM, Christoph Baudson wrote:

> On 06/11/2011 08:55 PM, Steven Ottens wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> For those who missed it; there was a codesprint last week where we didn't so much write code as defining what MapQuery actually is and came up with a basic API. In short; we want to develop MapQuery as a jQuery plugin which (jQuery) application developers can use to develop rich internet applications with maps. Important here is that we try to cater jQuery developers, not so much OpenLayers ones. This means that things sometimes will be done differently from OpenLayers because it makes more sense in the jQuery paradigm.
>> It also means that our target user is not a full blown OpenLayers expert and doesn't need all options OpenLayers provide (note that they are available to the user through the direct access to OpenLayers we do provide). The API we designed aims to provide all functions one need to create and manage maps, without the ambiguity that results from the various multiple-exclusive properties that are available to power users in OpenLayers.
> I welcome the decision to follow the jQuery API paradigm. There is one
> question on my mind. Did you talk about what builds of OpenLayers to
> include in MapQuery, or do you intend to leave that entirely in the hand
> of a MapQuery user? At the moment I think including a minimal build
> would be great, but I'm curious about your opinions.
We didn't discuss in detail what build of OL we would include. I would
say for the development the latest release (2.11RC in this case[*]).
Right now it points to the minified version of that build, but it is
easy to switch to the full OpenLayers version for debugging.
For an actual release I would like to see a minimal build as well.
Especially one that only includes stuff we support, making it very
small. But that's probably a discussion we can have when we have
anything to release.

Steven

[*] I want to switch to 2.12 as soon as possible, since the google
layertype uses OpenLayers.Layer.GoogleNG which is not in 2.11 and only
available on openlayer dev-builds.