[MapQuery] documentation time :)

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Thu Jun 30 11:25:06 EDT 2011

  Hi all,

I've finished adding new widgets to MapQuery for the moment. I created
examples for all the widgets (except for mqLayerControl). We now have
the proposed list for the 0.1 release:

-zoombuttons
-zoomslider
-overviewmap
-layercontrol (in this case mqLayerManager)
-popup with (get)featureinfo
+mouseposition

I'd like to leave mqLayerControl outside a possible first release since
it's pretty much the same as mqLayerManager, but hasn't gotten much love
and is a bit old fashioned (eg doesn't listen to most events). Since
mqLayerManager and mqLayerControl are so much the same we might want to
merge them in the future, eg make it possible to enable/disable certain
features of the mqLayerManager.

The main issue now is: we need documentation. I prefer to generate most
of the API docs from code. Which means we need to put it in some kind of
format and have a system to generate a nice set of HTML files. Volker
mentioned two systems:
-docco: http://jashkenas.github.com/docco/
-joDoc: https://github.com/davebalmer/joDoc/
<https://github.com/davebalmer/joDoc>

So the questions are:
-Have people used other systems to generate docs for javascript?
-Any preferences?
-Do the current widgets and examples make sense?
-Is something vital missing?
-Anyone time to write docs?
-Anyone time to write tests?

regards,
Steven

ps. I've got an ubuntu server which we can use for the moment to
generate and host docs and 'autobuilds' until someone figured out how to
do this on github itself. So any system should run ubuntu (10.04 LTS)
without too much hassle at least.