[Fwd: [mapserver-dev] Transparency attribute on Layer Object]

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Aug 20 12:59:12 EDT 2002

The default value is 100 (or opaque), while 0 would be transparent. The transparency only affects pixels
in the image actually set for a particular layer. You can see it in action at:

  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/contact/locator.html

Click in the state anywhere. The resulting maps use a transparency of 10 in showing DNR regional boundaries
(base color is red).

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Doyon, Jean-Francois" <Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca> 08/20/02 11:08AM >>>
Hello,

Apparently, I had missed this new keyword in 3.6 and am about to add it in
... But I want to make sure I understand it's behavior properly, so that I
can explain it right :)

I'm guessing this setting affects the transparency of the areas of the layer
that are NOT classed, is that right? These are the areas that are normally
transparent.  But does it also somehow affect the transparency of CLASSED
parts of the layer? Would say a red polygon with a blue outline have a
degree of transparency applied to it, or would only the empty/non-classed
part of the layer be affected? And what's the default value?

Thanks,
J.F.