[mapserver-dev] RE: MapServer and MultiBand-IMG

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Nov 8 15:48:01 EST 2002

Personally it seems like a bad idea to use the metadata block as you
suggest. I realize it has an ad hoc nature already. What about defining
a PROCESSING block/parameter where arbitrary, driver specific commands
could be passed?

BTW I'm fine with the BANDS changes...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Steve Lime wrote:
> Hi Stepan/Oliver: This will be a great addition but I'd like  to run
it
> by Frank Warmerdam first since he's our raster guru and I don't know
if
> he had something else in mind (or already working in 3.7). I've cc'd
the
> developers list for feedback.
>
> Steve
>
> Stephen Lime
> Data & Applications Manager
>
> Minnesota DNR
> 500 Lafayette Road
> St. Paul, MN 55155
> 651-297-2937

> Hi Oliver,
>   I am sending you my changes in Mapserver source code to enable
> selecting
> raster bands. Only GDAL formats are supported. Originaly I tried it
with
> 3.6
> dev. code, I haven't try actual Mapserver version yet!
> In map file the bands are supproted with LAYER COLOR parameter:
>
> LAYER
>   NAME mylyr
>   DATA landsat.tif
>   COLOR 7 4 2  # the R G B channels
> END
>
> It would be better to use e.g. BANDS parameter, but I don't know, how
> introduce it.

Folks,

I like the change, but I would like to go a little further:

  o I would like to introduce a BANDS parameter instead of using
COLOR.

  o I would like it to support 1, 2, 3 or 4 bands which would be
interpreted
    as:
     1: single greyscale or paletted band.
     2: as above plus an alpha band.
     3: R/G/B
     $: R/G/B/Alpha

If there is no problem with this I will incorporate it into 3.7 soon.
In the meantime using the suggested patches in local versions should
be
fine.

Actually, when I think about it, does anyone thing that this sort of
control
should be done through layer metadata?  There are other aspects of
raster
control, like the scaling used for >8bit bands that I would like to
add
but doing it all via specific keywords seems cumbersome.  I had been
thinking
of doing it via layer metadata but I wonder if that is an abuse/misuse
of
layer metadata?

warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for
Rent