[mapserver-dev] Automated test suite?

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Nov 18 15:51:28 EST 2002

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I am also constructing an extensive test suite for various raster issues
> that is small, and can be run with just shp2img by a script, and automatically
> compared to expected results.  I hope to check this in when completed.
>
> Is there any other automated testsuites for MapServer at this time?

I believe Steve has a test suite (a set of apps to walk through), but
I don't think it's automated... I'll CC: mapserver-dev so that he can
comment.

Personally I think an automated suite would be very welcome.  I've had
this in mind for quite a while and I would probably add tests to it for
OGR and WMS support at least.  You wrote that you would commit your
tests to CVS, but should it not be a separate CVS project to avoid
bloating the MapServer source tree.

BTW, how do you do your validation of the result?  Do you compare images
pixel by pixel?  I've always been worried that just changing the version
of a lib like GD could be enough to make a difference of a few pixels
and break the tests?  What do you think?

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca