[Mapserver-dev] 3D extension

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Thu Apr 24 15:40:47 EDT 2003

Hi all

I have been playing with Java and have a simple 3D viewer
demo that conceivably could become a mapserver addon
http://www.seascallop.com/Norman_Vine/Gulf_of_Maine3D.html
  < only tested on Win2k with Explorer >

This operates off of two simple registered image files
1) a heightfield
2) a texture that is draped

It is simple to get either of these individually from mapserver as it
stands today, getting both at the same time using just the browser
still escapes me although I can do it with a custom mapscript app

A simple coloring by elevation with pseudo sun shading (2) above
can be performed on (1) in the Java applet running on the client so
conceivably (2) may not be needed

What I would like to be able to do is pass a rendered 'linework' layer
from an active mapserver session that would be merged with (2)
on the client side with the preexisting files (1) & (2) so as to greatly
reduce the amount of network traffic, thus allowing data layers to
be visualized without a lot of network latency

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Norman

< area of demo is of Cape Cod, Mass and surroundings >
      < W70 N40 +- a degree or so >