[Mapserver-dev] [XML] Proposal for a MapScript XML Data Model Project and Discussion

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Dec 30 15:56:20 EST 2003

Ooops never mind this line:

"- I would be careful about using the saying "XML Data Model" since that has
wide ranging implications. I read that as meaning an XML representation of
MapServer's Object model, which may or may not be related to expressing
things in the MapFile.  What we're really talking about here is an XML
Mapfile right ?"

I've now read the current use cases in the Wiki and realize you do mean a
pure XML representation of the Data Model :) I especially like the
serializing using XML idea, lots of potential there!

J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: Doyon, Jean-Francois
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:51 PM
To: 'Sean Gillies'; MapServer-Dev
Subject: RE: [Mapserver-dev] [XML] Proposal for a MapScript XML Data
Model Project and Discussion

Well I don't know how much time I could spend on this, but I'l definitely
vote for at least having the OPTION of an XML MapFile, I would REALLY REALLY
REALLY love that :P So Mark me down as an interested party.

A couple of early thoughts:

- Let's not become overly academic and write OGC style schemas !!!
- Steve had I believe started on a DTD for a mapfile ... Though I guess it
never went anywhere ... A place to start though. (Is it still in CVS ?)
- I would be careful about using the saying "XML Data Model" since that has
wide ranging implications. I read that as meaning an XML representation of
MapServer's Object model, which may or may not be related to expressing
things in the MapFile.  What we're really talking about here is an XML
Mapfile right ?
- XML support for MapFile should be optional, maybe at compile-time, by
linking against libxml2, expat, or something like that.
- The schema should be modular, one big advantage I'd like to see come out
of this is the fact that I can have common parts of mapfiles exist only once
instead of repeating my SCALEBAR definition in each mapfile for instance. (I
will add this to the scenario/use case section of the Wiki)
- Seems to me the overall model pretty much exists already, it is the
structure of a mapfile and it's objects.  The effort would consist mainly of
XML'izing it, meaning agreeing on element names, data types, abstract
schema's, what feature of XML to use/support (XLink?) or not and so on ?
- If such support is added to mapserver then the mapserver core should now
support not only reading but also writing of mapfiles in XML format (As it
already supports writing of regular MapFiles).
- I agree that writing tools/SDK's to work with said XML MapFiles would be
crucial to their acceptance ... I'm sure you'd have a Python module ready in
no time, right ? :P

My .02$ !

Happy new year !

J.F.