[Mapserver-dev] MapServer 4.0 beta1?

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jun 2 11:33:26 EDT 2003

Steve, and all,

I think we should release a MapServer 4.0-beta1 this week to coincide
with the MapServer users meeting and also with some other projects that
we are wrapping up at our end.  I realize that there are still many open
bugs so we can't do a full release, but the software is already in very
good shape and is in use on many production servers already, so I think
the timing would be good for a beta... then we can work on an official
stable release after the MUM.

Please let me know what you think.  I can tag the CVS source as soon as
you give the go-ahead.  I think this beta should also be announced and
made available for download via the main UMN site.

BTW, I think we shouldn't branch CVS right away, we can wait until
important changes need to be committed to CVS.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL DEVELOPERS: if you want to start implementing 4.1
features after this 4.0-beta is released then please send a note to
mapserver-dev to request that we create a 4.0 branch in CVS before any
major changes are committed to the main CVS trunk.

Thanks

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca