[Mapserver-dev] Re: [mapserver-users] fastcgi?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jun 16 12:45:36 EDT 2003

Jan Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Great that you are going to do FastCGI support! Regarding database
> connections, would you take care of the connection pooling that I implemented
> a few months ago? Steve Lime has already put it to work for SDE, and doing
> the same for PostGIS would be half an hour's work. I'm not sure about Oracle;
> didn't understand much of how it connected to MapServer. Please let me know
> if I can do something on that.

Jan,

I have taken the liberty of replying mapserver-dev instead of users as this
is mostly a new development issue.

I am not prepared at this time to commit to modifying the Oracle or PostGIS
support to use the connection pooling.  I hadn't realized that the Oracle
didn't already use it.   Are the Oracle connector developers interested in
implementing that?

For PostGIS, I think the connection setup cost is substantially smaller than for
Oracle or SDE, so it isn't so important.  But if it is to be done, it should
be done by Refractions since they are actively maintaining this component.

I must admit my main reason for wanting FastCGI support is to ensure the best
performance for FMEObjects based map serving, and I am hesitant to grow the
scope of my short term effort too much.

> Am I right that FastCGI would make it possible not only to pool connections
> for one MapFile, but also for a complete session? That would be great!

Right.  My understanding is that FastCGI will startup one or a few long running
mapserv daemons and that if the code is structured properly initialization
costs for database connections and other things can just be done once on first
use and reused for as long as the daemon stays alive.

Note, I have never used FastCGI before.  I am basing my understanding so far
on a quick review of the documents at www.fastcgi.com.