[Mapserver-dev] Configure error causes GD2.0.12 not found error

R. Piepul rob at dataflowdesign.com
Mon Jun 23 09:41:54 EDT 2003

I believe the LIBS list in the configure script needs to include
libiconv (-liconv). Without it, configure incorrectly reports that GD
2.0.12 cannot be found and then exits. I would like someone to confirm
this, since I'm new to ms and this problem may be due to some other
issues on my system.

I'm trying to build mapserver cvs as of Sunday, 22 June. I have also
run into this same problem with ms3.6.6.

The configure script indicates that it cannot find GD >= 2.0.12. But
I have installed GD2.0.15. The config.log file indicates undefined
references to iconv_open,iconv_close,iconv in the check for GD.
The problem was fixed (for me) after substituting all occurrences of
   "-lgd"  with "-lgd -liconv"

If you want my patch I will post it or file a bug report. However, I'm
not sure if this is the correct way to fix it.
More details below.
Thanks,
Rob

My OS: 4.5-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD

My configure arguments:

./configure \
--with-jpeg=/usr/local \
--with-gd=/home/rob/local \
--with-freetype=/usr/local \
--with-png=/usr/local \
--with-tiff=/home/rob/local \
--with-proj=/usr/local \
--with-ogr=/home/rob/installs/gdal-1.1.8/ogr \
--with-gdal=/home/rob/local/bin/gdal-config \
--with-php=/home/rob/installs/php-4.3.2 \
--with-xpm=/usr/X11R6/lib \
--with-postgis

Configure output:

[... snipped ...]
checking whether we should include JPEG support...
        using libjpeg from system -L/usr/local/lib -ljpeg
checking for GD 2.0.12 or higher...
checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... no
configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in /home/rob/local. Make su
re GD 2.0.12 or
 higher is compiled before calling configure.
$

Config.log

[... snipped ...]
configure:1923: checking for GD 2.0.12 or higher...
configure:1965: checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd
configure:1984: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lgd -L/home/rob/local/lib  -lm
1>&5
/home/rob/local/lib/libgd.so: undefined reference to `iconv_open'
/home/rob/local/lib/libgd.so: undefined reference to `iconv_close'
/home/rob/local/lib/libgd.so: undefined reference to `iconv'
configure: failed program was:
#line 1973 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char gdImageSetAntiAliased();

int main() {
gdImageSetAntiAliased()
; return 0; }