[Mapserver-dev] Coding Standards

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Mar 4 20:35:21 EST 2003

All good suggestions, both standards and post processing. For standards
I would advocate trying to put something in place for work on 4.0- I
think that should be the next target. I agree with Frank that we don't
need any new work at the moment but I believe that long term we need
this, especially in files where more than one programmer hangs out. The
post processing for releases could be used immediately. Norman had a
couple of links that tell how. Is anyone aware of other tools that might
afford a bit more control than simply indenting lines (e.g. placement of
braces)?

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> David Graham <dgraham at i3.com> 02/28/03 13:06 PM >>>
Not sure how people feel about this, but I have been on projects where
each night before the daily build the entire tree is checked out.
"indent" is run with a set of project format rules. Then all the changes

are committed (only those that indent changed the format on). Then the
daily build is performed. And finally the unit tests are executed.

This ensures that all code ends up in the same format. Developers do
need to remember to update their CVS in the morning to get formatting
changes. This is actually quite important, otherwise you find yourself
doing a lot of CVS merge repairs (my biggest complaint of this
technique). As a result programmers start programming more to the
standard just to avoid problems with CVS merge failures.

Just a thought, of course I am not directly in the development circle
for this project so do what you want.

Dave Graham

--
David W. Graham
Director of Geospatial Applications Development
dgraham at i3.com
http://www.i3.com