[Mapserver-dev] Disabling 'make install'

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Mar 28 08:12:27 EST 2003

woodbri at swoodbridge.com wrote:

> Have you changed the Makefile on 3.7 so make install does NOT install
> the libmap.a, instead it should just have some echo statements
> telling the user to copy mapserv, legend, and scale to the
> appropriate cgi-bin directory.
>
> We really need to make this problem go away.

Sorry for not doing this sooner, I know this has been annoying users for
quite a while.  I have finally disabled the 'make install' target in
both 3.7 and 3.6.6-dev.   Now it will output the following message:

***** MapServer Installation *****
To install MapServer, copy the 'mapserv' file to your web server's
cgi-bin directory.
If you use MapScript then see the documentation for your specific
MapScript version for installation instructions.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca