[Mapserver-dev] Shape bounds

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Nov 13 12:30:47 EST 2003

There's a macro to test a box. The problem is more often the bbox is out
of sync with
the coordinates. Maintaining the flag becomes the same issue as
maintaining the bbox
itself. I'd like to simply agree that if a function/method builds a
shape it has the responsibility
to make sure the shape is complete. The code I wrote to build a label
outline is an example
of such a function- and it doesn't rebuild the bbox.

Steve

>>> Alan Steremberg <alans at wunderground.com> 11/13/2003 11:23:36 AM

Can you set a flag as to whether there is a valid bounding box?  That
might make it all a bit easier to deal with..

Alan

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 8:11am, Steve Lime wrote:
> Hi Folks:  Looking for opinions. In mapprimative.c lives a function
> msAddLine that is the primary code for building shapes other than
> reading directly from shapefiles. That code does not maintain a
shape
> bounding box. So should the bounding box be maintained:
>
>   1) withing msAddLine
>   2) by the code making repetitive calls to msAddLine
>
> Ultimately I just want to make sure that an accurate bounding box is
> available.  Option 1 centralizes the responsibility, but option 2 is
> better for performance. After all, why set a bounding box until the
> full
> shape is done. I'm leaning towards 2 and just fixing on part of the
> label cache code.
>
> steve
>
> Stephen Lime
> Data & Applications Manager