[Mapserver-dev] Enhancing mapserver line drawing

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Oct 21 10:57:42 EDT 2003

Hi all,

What if anything has been discussed about drawing thick antialiased
lines - I seem to remember a discussion that this was not possible
because we draw thick lines using a symbol. Also maybe the GD
antialiasing code was slow. What happens when a thick line gets draw
in Flash or Postscript, etc. It seems that what we should do is
define lines based on thickness and styles with one style-type being
a user defined symbol and then let the appropriate output handler
decide to implement it as appropriate. Is this happening now? Does
this make sense? For example, if someone wanted antialiased lines and
the performance hit was ok, they could then build an antialiasing GD
output module.

Any thoughts or opinions?

-Steve