[Mapserver-dev] Roadmap...

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Oct 23 17:37:45 EDT 2003

Steve Lime wrote:
> Lot's of great ideas out there, probably time to work on the roadmap we
> promised everyone at MUM. Using the WIKI is fine with me. Is there a
> general format to these types of documents?

Agreed.  I've meant to do this a while ago but as usual... so many
things to do and so little time.

I'm not aware of a perfect template for this type of documents.  Some
tend to be more like a white paper talking about where they want the
product to be in x time. Others are more like a ToDo list.

Here are some ideas of what I think we should include in the MapServer
4.1 Roadmap:

* Target release date (approx)

* List of major features being developed for the 4.1 release, including
for each item:
    - Description
    - Name of developer responsible for this
    - Bug reference (in bugzilla) where you can get more details

* Current status

* List of features planned for future releases.  i.e. stuff that we are
committing to do but that can't fit in the current release.

* Wishlist (?)

I'll try to put a draft together in the wiki and then from there it will
be easier to discuss what we like and what we don't like.

  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca