[Mapserver-dev] Building .exes with DLLs on windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Apr 3 23:16:54 EST 2004

Folks,

I like to include MapServer in my OpenEV_FW releases, but currently the
executables are pretty big because so much stuff is linked into them all.

warmerda% ls -l *.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None      2822208 Apr  3 23:10 legend.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None      2859073 Apr  3 23:10 mapserv.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None      2822210 Apr  3 23:11 scalebar.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None      2826305 Apr  3 23:10 shp2img.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None      2826305 Apr  3 23:10 shptree.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None      2826305 Apr  3 23:11 sortshp.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None      2826305 Apr  3 23:11 tile4ms.exe

What I would like to do is build a DLL with everything except the mainline
code in it so each of the executables is small.  Then the whole foot print
for including MapServer would be about 3MB instead of the 21MB if I want to
include all the utilities.  If folks prefer to keep mapserv.exe simple, I
would be ok with linking everything into it normally, but using a DLL for the
other utilities.  That would put the footprint at around 6MB.