[Mapserver-dev] Building .exes with DLLs on windows

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Apr 6 09:09:00 EDT 2004

Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>

>> What I would like to do is build a DLL with everything except the
>> mainline
>> code in it so each of the executables is small.  Then the whole foot
>> print
>> for including MapServer would be about 3MB instead of the 21MB if I
>> want to
>> include all the utilities.  If folks prefer to keep mapserv.exe simple, I
>> would be ok with linking everything into it normally, but using a DLL
>> for the
>> other utilities.  That would put the footprint at around 6MB.
>>

> I like the idea, but as you wrote, it could be nice to keep mapserv.exe
> as a static executable.  Would it be possible to have an option in the
> makefile to easily switch from static to dynamic linking?
>
> I don't use Windows myself though, so I perhaps Assefa would have more
> comments.
>
> Daniel

  There should not be any problems on the mapserver side. What "scares"
me more is modifing the build for the other dependent libararies to
produce dll's and libs that are usable by mapserver. Sometimes It is
just a fight to have these libraries build on windows and makefiles,
when provided, are not as easy to work as it is in Gdal for example. I
will try to gradullay port all the librairies.

Later,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca