Fw: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] TileIndexes and Paths - YAP (yet another proposal)

Brent Fraser bfraser at GEOANALYTIC.COM
Thu Dec 9 17:40:58 EST 2004

Sean suggested I post this to the dev-list, as apparently some of the
developers don't monitor the user-list...

Brent

----- Original Message -----
From: Brent Fraser
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 2:50 PM
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] TileIndexes and Paths - YAP (yet another
proposal)

Tile Indexers,

  I'd like to resolve the tile-index problem soon (v4.6?).  To briefly
re-state the problem:

The Current Situation:
=================
Paths to tiles are currently constructed by Mapserver by appending various
strings:
        mapfile path + SHAPEPATH + tile item value + DATA
If any of the first three strings contain an absolute path, the ones to the
left of it are ignored.

This makes for not a very flexible (or portable) data arrangement if you've
got more than one index..

A Choice of Enhancements for a Solution:
==============================
1.  Mapserver would use the same absolute-path rule as above, but if it
doesn't resolve to an existing file, would also try
        mapfile path + tile index path + tile item value + DATA

OR

2. Add another keyword to the LAYER object: TILEPATHPREFIX (or something
better)
  if present in the data LAYER, construct the path as:
       mapfile path + TILEPATHPREFIX + tile item value + DATA
(the same absolute-path rule would apply)

Either solution would not break existing site and should accomodate my wish
to spread my data across  file systems and Steve W's to have the tileindex
in the same spot as the data.  Any thoughts? preferences?

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Tel:(403) 213-2700
bfraser at geoanalytic.com